Morris Ferry


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Morris Ferry was on the Angelina River fourteen miles northwest of Jasper in northwestern Jasper County. As early as 1907 the Jasper County Commissioners Court provided free ferriage for county citizens across the Angelina via the Morris Ferry. Traditionally, this was where the Old Beef Trail crossed the Angelina River. In 1916 the Western Naval Stores Company established a turpentine camp and distillery near the crossing. Over 100 employees tended nearly fifty boxes of raw turpentine at the site, and the population at the camp peaked at 350. The site was abandoned in 1920, however, and installations were removed.

Newton County Historical Commission, Glimpses of Newton County History (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Morris Ferry,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/morris-ferry.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Morris Ferry
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Associated Names

Lewis Ferry