Morrison Milling Company

By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995

Updated: February 9, 2019

The Morrison Milling Company began as a cooperative business venture of farmers in Denton County in 1886. They hoped that their Farmers' Alliance Milling Company, located in Denton, would emulate the successful cooperative enterprises initiated by the Grange in the Midwest. In 1888 the 700 stockholders reorganized the mill and renamed it Alliance Milling Company. For the next twenty-eight years the mill prospered, due largely to the talents of Miller A. Grant of Buffalo, New York. This success resulted from the mill's production of Peacemaker Flour, which won the premium award at the Texas State Fair for ten consecutive years and the gold medal at the Centennial Exposition at Paris in 1900. In 1916, however, the wheat market collapsed, and the company was forced into receivership. During the next twenty years the company had five owners, none of whom could restore it to its previous prosperity. By the mid-1930s the mill operated only one day a week with a skeleton crew. In 1936 E. Walter Morrison of Kansas purchased the failing company. He chartered it as the Morrison Milling Company on May 28, 1936, introduced new equipment and marketing practices, and within a decade revived the mill. Successful marketing, combined with the introduction of instant biscuit, cornbread, and pancake mixes and the continued production of Peacemaker Flour, enabled the independent mill to prosper. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s Morrison expanded the company's market, eventually selling flour and cornmeal products to twenty-nine states and to countries in South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. His success enabled the company to avoid the fate of its competitors. In 1937 more than 2,000 privately owned mills operated in the United States. By 1970 that number had decreased to 200. In the 1980s the Morrison Milling Company was run by Morrison's son, E. Walter Morrison, Jr.

C. A. Bridges, History of Denton, Texas, from Its Beginning to 1960 (Waco: Texian Press, 1978). Denton Record-Chronicle, May 26, 1946, April 8, 1962, April 26, 1967.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Morrison Milling Company,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995
February 9, 2019