Morton, TX (Harrison County)


By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: October 11, 2004


Morton is a small rural community located near the intersection of State Highway 154 and Farm Road 2879 about nineteen miles northwest of Marshall in northwestern Harrison County. The settlement was named after the Morton family, who settled in the region. John V. Morton received a patent for more than 2,600 acres on May 18, 1880. In the 1930s the farming community had a school, two businesses, residences, and the Morton Baptist Church and cemetery. No population figures were available for Morton until 2000, when it reported seventy-five residents.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Morton, TX (Harrison County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/morton-tx-harrison-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

October 11, 2004

Place
Morton
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378701
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.66986360°
  • Longitude: -94.65798420°
Population Counts
People Year
75 2009