Mount Gilead, TX (Upshur County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Mount Gilead was eight miles northwest of Gilmer on Farm Road 852 just west of Enon in western Upshur County. The community was probably settled sometime before 1900. In the mid-1930s it had a church, a school, and number of houses. After World War II the church was disbanded, and the school was consolidated with the Rosewood school. By the mid-1960s Mount Gilead had been abandoned.

Doyal T. Loyd, A History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1966).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Mount Gilead, TX (Upshur County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mount-gilead-tx-upshur-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Loading