Mount Zion, TX (Freestone County)


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Mount Zion, also known as Daddy Hollow, is off U.S. Highway 84 six miles southeast of Fairfield in southeast Freestone County. The site was first settled in the 1850s, and the first church, the Mount Zion Methodist Church, was built in 1854. In 1880 J. L. Moody donated a tract of land two miles west of the original site, and a building was erected that housed a church, school, and Grange hall. Mount Zion had a school that had thirty-three students in 1893 and forty-two students in 1903. In 1916 the school had eighty-seven pupils. A Mount Zion post office, established in 1888 with John C. James as postmaster, was closed in 1891. Land for a cemetery was given by J. C. James and A. P. Vaughn, and a historical marker was placed at the site in 1968. Mount Zion began to grow in the early 1900s, and a new schoolhouse was built in 1912. The school lasted until the 1930s, when it was consolidated with the Fairfield schools. In the 1960s Mount Zion consisted of a cemetery and one dwelling; in the late 1980s the cemetery was still in existence.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978). Freestone County Historical Survey Committee, Official Texas Historical Markers of Freestone County (Fairfield?, Texas, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Mount Zion, TX (Freestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mount-zion-tx-freestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Mount Zion
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1363338
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Associated Names

Daddy Hollow

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.68878120°
  • Longitude: -96.04885520°