Mount Zion, TX (Hopkins County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995

Updated: December 2, 2020


Font size: A / A reset

Mount Zion, a rural community on State Highway 11 fifteen miles northwest of Sulphur Springs in northwestern Hopkins County, was settled before 1898, when it had two schools, one with fifty-six White students and one with nineteen Black. During the mid-1930s Mount Zion had a school, a cemetery, three churches, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away. The schools were consolidated with the Cumby school district, and by the early 1960s all that remained of the community was a church and a cemetery. During the late 1980s Mount Zion was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Mount Zion, TX (Hopkins County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mount-zion-tx-hopkins-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995
December 2, 2020

Loading