Muncy, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Muncy is near the intersection of U.S. Highway 70, Farm Road 786, and the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway, seven miles northwest of Floydada in west central Floyd County. It was founded in 1897 by Rev. R. E. L. Muncy of Virginia. In 1910 the Santa Fe Railroad built into the area and constructed a switch in Muncy. The postal department granted the community an office in 1911 and appointed Reverend Muncy postmaster, but he resigned the position, and the station was never established. The Mayshaw school was built near the community in 1911 and renamed Muncy the next year. On September 11, 1910, the Muncy Missionary Baptist Church was organized at the school, with Reverend Muncy as pastor. The church remained active until it moved to Lockney in 1926. The school operated until the spring of 1947, then was consolidated (officially in 1949) with the Lockney school. In the 1980s Muncy had a grain elevator built in 1928, several houses, and a Santa Fe Railroad switch.

Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Muncy, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/muncy-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Muncy
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380227
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Floyd County
Associated Names

Mayshaw

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.06646490°
  • Longitude: -101.39154920°