Henry William Munson, Brazoria County planter, stockman, and soldier, son of Jesse Munson, was born in Villa Gayoso, Mississippi, on January 15, 1793. According to some sources he arrived in Texas as early as 1813. Munson was wounded at the battle of Medina near San Antonio and later named his son Mordello, after the Mexican officer who saved his life. He settled on the west side of the Trinity River in Liberty County in 1824. In 1828 he, twenty-four family members, and nineteen slaves traveled by barge up the Brazos River to Brazoria County. Munson signed the 1826 census as a judge of the Atascosito District. He served as a first lieutenant in Capt. Hugh Blair Johnston's company in the Fredonian Rebellion and was discharged on February 17, 1827. Munson subsequently purchased land from Stephen F. Austin on Gulf Prairie, where he established a sugar and cotton plantation known as Oakland. Some time later, with the help of James F. Perry, he helped to establish a local school. Munson took part in the Anahuac Disturbances and the battle of Velasco, where he was a member of Capt. William J. Russell's company. He died of cholera on October 6, 1833; his last words were believed to have been, "Please educate my children." He was buried on the plantation, and a marker in his honor was later placed at Gulf Prairie Cemetery. His widow, Ann Bynum (Pearce), with whom he had eight children, married James P. Caldwell and continued to operate the plantation.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., "Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin, 1828–1832," 12 parts, Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21–24 (January 1918-October 1920). Brazoria County Federation of Women's Clubs, History of Brazoria County (1940). James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Founders and Patriots of the Republic of Texas (Austin, 1963-). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Diana J. Kleiner,
“Munson, Henry William,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed August 19, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
April 1, 1995
Most Recent Revision Date:
April 8, 2020