Muskegon, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Muskegon was probably located in northern Orange County at what is now the junction of Farm roads 1136 and 1130, eighteen miles northeast of Beaumont. Development of the area was encouraged by the construction of the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway north of Beaumont in 1898. The site was probably named for the Muskegon Lumber Company, which had its main offices in Orange. The post office at Muskegon operated from 1903 to 1907, and the site was still listed on the Railroad Commission's county map of Texas for 1918. A few scattered buildings were present during the 1970s, although no discernible community identity was apparent.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Muskegon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/muskegon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Muskegon
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Orange County
Associated Names

Adrian

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.18950500°
  • Longitude: -93.89249000°