Mustang, TX (Denton County)


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Mustang is at the intersection of Mustang Road and Farm Road 1385, between Pecan and Mustang creeks, six miles southeast of Pilot Point and fifteen miles northeast of Denton in northeastern Denton County. The community, located on the original land grant of Isaac Walters, was named for nearby Mustang Creek, which in turn was named either for the Mustang grapes that grew along its banks or for the wild ponies (see MUSTANGS) that were in the area as late as the 1850s. Mustang was established in 1858 and from 1876 to 1907 had a post office. By 1890 it received mail semiweekly and reported a population of seventy-five, a union church, a district school, a general store, and a steam cotton gin and gristmill owned by the Farmers' Alliance. Mustang had its own school district in the 1930s, with twenty-five pupils and two teachers. In 1940 the community reported fifty residents and two businesses, and in 1951 it had a store, filling station, and an icehouse. By 1964 Mustang had two churches, a business, and a town hall. The 1984 county highway map showed two churches and a town hall at Mustang.

Emily Fowler, Towns and Communities of Denton County, Texas (MS, Denton Public Library, Denton, Texas, 1956).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Mustang, TX (Denton County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mustang-tx-denton-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Mustang
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380230
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Denton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.32067110°
  • Longitude: -96.90305850°
Population Counts
People Year
25 2009