Naclina, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Naclina is on State Highway 103 near Etoile and twenty miles southeast of Nacogdoches in southeastern Nacogdoches County. The settlement was established around 1900 as a logging camp. Its name was derived from the names of Nacogdoches and Angelina counties, as its site was very near that county line. For many years the community was a flag station on the Angelina and Neches River Railroad. During the 1930s Naclina had a depot and a number of houses, but after World War II many of its residents moved away. As late as the mid-1960s, however, a sawmill and several stores were still in the area. After the construction of Sam Rayburn Reservoir in the 1960s, a number of new houses were built in the area. During the early 1990s Naclina was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Naclina, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 24, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/naclina-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Loading