James C. Nagle, engineer, son of John and Ellen Mary (Smith) Nagle, was born on October 9, 1865, at Richmond, Virginia. He took an engineering degree at the University of Texas in 1889 and later attended the University of Pittsburgh and Cornell University. He was assistant engineer for the Austin and Northwestern Railroad in 1888 and in 1889–90 was topographer for the Texas Geological Survey. He was chief engineer for the Brazos and Burleson Railway in 1894, assistant chief engineer for the Houston, East and West Texas Railway in 1899, and expert in irrigation investigation for the United States Department of Agriculture from 1899 to 1902 and again in 1908. Simultaneous with his other activities, Nagle was professor of civil engineering at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) from 1890 to 1913, dean of the engineering faculty from 1911 to 1913, and director of the Texas Engineering Experiment Station of the college from 1917 to 1922. From September 1, 1913, to August 31, 1917, he was chairman of the Texas Board of Water Engineers. His Field Manual for Railroad Engineers was published in 1897. After leaving College Station, Nagle and his wife, Emily (Davis), made their home in Dallas. He died on April 6, 1927.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Sciences, Agriculture, and Engineering
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Nagle, James C.,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 23, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/nagle-james-c.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.