Narcisso, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Narcisso was near the South Pease River in southwest Cottle County. It existed briefly during the early twentieth century as a station on the Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railroad, which had built into the area by 1913. The settlement was thought to have been named after a horse. In 1919 land for a school was donated by the Swenson Land and Cattle Company, although the facility lasted only a short time. The site was gone by 1940, and no evidence of the town was found on county maps of the 1980s.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982). Carmen Taylor Bennett, Our Roots Grow Deep: A History of Cottle County (Floydada, Texas: Blanco Offset Printing, 1970).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Narcisso, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/narcisso-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Narcisso
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380232
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cottle County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.00035600°
  • Longitude: -100.47345340°