Nash, TX (Ellis County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Nash is on Farm Road 55 between the forks of Onion Creek, six miles south of Waxahachie in south central Ellis County. It was established in the early 1880s, following the opening of a general store by Benjamin Reid, and was named for N. J. Nash, a county attorney. A Nash post office branch operated from 1883 to 1903. Throughout its history Nash has served as a community center for area farmers. Its population was seventy-five in 1941, 125 in 1968, and twenty-five in 1988 through 2000.

Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). Memorial and Biographical History of Ellis County (Chicago: Lewis, 1892; rpt., as Ellis County History, Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Nash, TX (Ellis County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/nash-tx-ellis-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Nash
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378727
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ellis County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.26570210°
  • Longitude: -96.81277290°
Population Counts
People Year
40 2009