Navarro, on Farm Road 3243 eight miles southeast of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County, was established in the early 1880s. It was originally known as Hopewell after the Hopewell Baptist Church. A school was in operation there by 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of thirty-three. When the Houston and Texas Central Railway bypassed the community in the early 1900s, the town was moved to a site on the railroad and was renamed Navarro. A post office opened in 1908, and by 1914 Navarro had a cotton gin, three general stores, two blacksmiths, and an estimated population of fifty. By the mid-1930s the population had grown to seventy-five, and the town had six stores, a school, two churches, and a number of houses. After World War II the stores closed, and by the mid-1960s only a school and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Navarro was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of 193. The population was 191 in 2000.