Neals, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Neals was thirteen miles southwest of Gilmer and just north of the Sabine River in southern Upshur County. The settlement, named for an early settler, Charles O'Neal, was established as a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1871. It served for a time as a shipping point for pine lumber milled on the Sabine. By 1890 the settlement had disappeared.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Neals, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/neals-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Neals
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Upshur County