Need, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Need, twenty-one miles northwest of Paris in northwestern Lamar County, was probably settled after the Civil War. A post office operated there from 1888 to 1898. At its height during the mid-1890s Need had a saw and grist mill and gin, a grocer, and a number of houses; in 1890 it reported a population of twenty-five. By the 1930s, however, the community was no longer shown on highway maps.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Need, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/need-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Loading