Nell is on Farm Road 882 seventeen miles northeast of Three Rivers in northeastern Live Oak County. The community was probably established when the area was subdivided into farms between 1910 and 1930. A 1936 map showed a school, three businesses, and a few dwellings at the site. For many years the community shared a school with nearby Esseville. By 1965 the school, the cotton gin, and the store had closed; a map dated that year shows only a few scattered residences in the area. In 2000 the population was sixty.