Nemo, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Nemo is at the intersection of Farms roads 200 and 199, five miles east of Glen Rose in eastern Somervell County. Settlement of the community may have begun as early as 1858. Originally, it was called Johnson Station after Jimmie Johnson, one of the first settlers to arrive in the area. Postal authorities, however, suggested that a shorter name be submitted. When residents met to choose a name, the story goes, one man stood up and argued for the name Nemo, which he said was Latin for no one. He argued that if Jimmie Johnson's name was not good enough "then no one's was." In 1893 a post office branch was established. Nemo had thirty residents, two churches, three businesses, a school, and a cotton gin. The population increased from thirty-five in 1910 to fifty-six in 1990, where it remained in 2000.

W. C. Nunn, Somervell: Story of a Texas County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1975). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Nemo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/nemo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Nemo
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378734
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Somervell County
Associated Names

Johnson

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.25986600°
  • Longitude: -97.65196960°
Population Counts
People Year
56 2009