Neuthard School, at Round Top, Fayette County, opened on October 2, 1858, in the home of Adam Neuthard, a Lutheran minister from Germany who furnished most of the textbooks and at one time boarded as many as twenty-five pupils. Neuthard had a successful pastorate of thirty-seven years, during which he baptized 2,450 children and confirmed 1,450 young people. The average enrollment in his school was fifty or sixty students; the largest enrollment at one time was ninety-seven. Two-month summer sessions accommodated twenty or thirty students. Night school was also conducted. During the Civil War Neuthard taught without pay and boarded an average of fourteen students at five dollars a month. A limestone building constructed in 1866 served as a combination home, school, and dormitory. A total of 2,100 pupils had attended the school when it became a part of the public school system in 1878.