The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

New Berlin, TX

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl General Entry

New Berlin is on Farm Road 2538 eleven miles southwest of Seguin in southwestern Guadalupe County. Many of the early settlers were German immigrants who came to the area in the 1870s. Ed Tewes built the first store at New Berlin, and the town had a post office from 1878 to 1906. By the mid-1880s New Berlin had two steam gristmills and cotton gins, a general store, and seventy residents. The community served as a shipping point for cotton, cottonseed, corn, and oats. In 1904 fifty-six students attended the one-teacher school. The population of New Berlin fell to forty in 1949. The town was incorporated in 1980, when 253 residents were reported. In 1990 the population was 188.

Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).

Categories:

  • Peoples
  • Germans

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “New Berlin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed April 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/new-berlin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Loading