New Bielau, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


New Bielau is near the junction of Farm roads 155 and 2144 three miles south of Weimar in the northwestern corner of Colorado County. The site was settled by German families who moved from the Industry, Texas, area just before the Civil War. More Germans arrived after the war, and by the 1870s the community was called New Bielau, after Bielau, Germany. A school was organized there in the 1870s, and a German Methodist church was built in New Bielau in 1879. In 1883 the school served fifty-four pupils. Trinity Evangelical Church was organized in the community in 1886, and its building was completed by 1888. In 1904 the school had sixty-one pupils and one teacher. The community had two churches, a school, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings in 1940. At different times New Bielau had a store, a gin, and a blacksmith shop. The New Bielau school was consolidated with those of Weimar by the 1950s. A contiguous community named Content that evidently contained Anglo-Texan settlers shared churches and a school board with New Bielau. In the 1980s both communities were served by the New Bielau community center and the Trinity Church.

Colorado County Historical Commission, Colorado County Chronicles from the Beginning to 1923 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1986).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Germans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “New Bielau, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/new-bielau-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
New Bielau
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034846
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Colorado County
Associated Names

Content

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.63440240°
  • Longitude: -96.77331070°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2014