New Blox, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


New Blox, twenty miles northwest of Jasper in northwestern Jasper County, was built north of an older Jasper County settlement called Ebenezer, as an extension of a Kirby Lumber Company camp at Blox. The new camp had a commissary by 1927. As the timber at the older community was cut out, a spur line was built to New Blox, enabling the company to move its buildings to the newer logging camp. At its peak New Blox had a population of 800. Local residents got their mail from nearby Ferguson from 1928 to 1933. As loggers cut out the area's stands of virgin timber, most residents moved on. Company buildings were removed during the mid-1930s; by 1941 only twenty people remained at New Blox, and by the late 1940s population estimates were no longer available. A 1984 county highway map refers to the older Blox as New Blox, and second-growth forests have now reclaimed the original site of New Blox.

Jasper County Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “New Blox, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/new-blox-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
New Blox
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380243
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.98214240°
  • Longitude: -93.98657590°