New Home, TX (Smith County)


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995

Updated: January 6, 2021


New Home, also known as New Hope, was a mile north of the junction of Farm roads 16 and 271 and four miles northwest of Starrville in northwestern Smith County. Though county records for 1903 show no school in the area, by 1936 there were two: New Hope School, with two elementary teachers for its White students, and New Home School, also with two elementary teachers, for forty-one Black students. At this time the community also had a church, a business, and some scattered farms. By 1952 both schools had been absorbed by a Gregg County district, and in 1960 only New Hope Church and a few scattered homes remained. The community had a church and two dwellings in 1973, but it was not shown on the 1981 county highway map.

Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “New Home, TX (Smith County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/new-home-tx-smith-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995
January 6, 2021

Place
New Home
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2023456
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Associated Names

New Hope 2

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.48986780°
  • Longitude: -95.03494220°