New Hope, TX (San Jacinto County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


New Hope is on Farm Road 2025 fifty miles north of Houston in extreme southern San Jacinto County. The community was given the name New Hope by Wilken Howard, although it was also known as Brown School Settlement after R. T. Brown, who moved to the area from Hill County in 1875. Residents of the little community went to Cleveland for most of their services, and an abandoned railroad tram line from that Liberty County town north through the New Hope area indicates that logging was once an important part of the region's economy. The New Hope church still marks the settlement, and several new buildings have been constructed since the late 1950s.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “New Hope, TX (San Jacinto County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/new-hope-tx-san-jacinto-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
New Hope
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382384
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Associated Names

Brown School Settlement

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.58603180°
  • Longitude: -95.31160710°