New Tira, TX


By: J. E. Jennings

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


New Tira, a farming community on State highways 19 and 154, 1½ miles west of old Tira and twelve miles north of Sulphur Springs in north central Hopkins County, was established in 1947, when Erwin Chapman built a store and gin at the site and B. C. Lawson moved his store there from Weirville. The stores later closed, and by the mid-1960s only a few scattered houses remained. In the late 1980s New Tira was a dispersed rural community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

J. E. Jennings, “New Tira, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/new-tira-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
New Tira
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hopkins County