Newman is at the intersection of two country roads a mile west of Farm Road 1085 and fourteen miles southeast of Roby in southeastern Fisher County. The Newman ranch, founded by James Franklin Newman, was settled around 1880, and in 1881 the Newman post office was opened. By 1884 the community had a population of ten, and in 1889 a school was opened there. A Methodist Sunday school began meeting in the school building in 1899, services were held at the school in 1901, and a Methodist church was built in 1907. Sometime around 1910, the neighboring Union Hall school was consolidated with the Newman school, and a new and larger school building was constructed. The post office was closed in 1910. Newman had at least three different grocery stores at various times in its history. In 1940 the community had two churches, a school, and a cemetery. The school was consolidated with those of Sylvester in 1949, and all that remained at the site in the 1980s was a church and a cemetery.