Nicaragua was situated at the intersection of the old road leading east from Wofford Crossing and the San Antonio-Goliad Road, about two miles south of Helena in Karnes County. Its name may have been connected with the proslavery filibustering and short-lived dictatorship of William Walker in Nicaragua in 1855–57. Nicaragua was a place name on maps of Karnes County from 1859 to 1867.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Robert H. Thonhoff, “Nicaragua, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/nicaragua-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.