Nigton, a farming community at the junction of Farm roads 2262 and 2501, seventeen miles southwest of Groveton in northeastern Trinity County, was settled by former slaves in 1873. The name was suggested by one of the former slaves, Jeff Carter, who was a civic leader during the early years of the settlement. A post office was established there in 1894, and by 1896 the community had three churches, a sawmill and gin, a wagonmaker, a shoemaker, and a reported population of 500. The post office closed in 1923. During the early 1940s only a school, a church, a store, and ten residents remained. Later the population grew somewhat, and by the early 1990s the community reported thirty-four residents. At that time descendants of the original African-American settlers still lived in the area. In 2000 the population was eighty-seven.