Nimrod, TX (Eastland County)


By: Noel Wiggins

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Nimrod, on Farm Road 569 in west central Eastland County, was first settled in 1876 by a group that included Ira Townsend and William M. Munn. The town may have been called Monroe and Curtis until a post office was granted in 1885 and the name was changed to Nimrod for a biblical character. Munn was the first postmaster and ran a general store. A fire in 1907 left only two buildings standing, and two years later a tornado spared only a grocery store, a gin, a school, and seven or eight homes. The population fluctuated from 150 in 1915 to forty in 1947 to eighty-five in 1980. By 1969 the gin and post office had been closed and the school consolidated with other rural schools. In 2000 the population remained at eighty-five.

Ruby Pearl Ghormley, Eastland County, Texas: A Historical and Biographical Survey (Austin: Rupegy, 1969).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Noel Wiggins, “Nimrod, TX (Eastland County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 05, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/nimrod-tx-eastland-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Nimrod
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378757
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Eastland County
Associated Names

Curtis

Monroe

Munn

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.27235570°
  • Longitude: -99.05256670°
Population Counts
People Year
45 2009