George Antonio (or Anthony) Nixon, land commissioner for the Galveston Bay and Texas Land Company, which sold land on the empresario grants of David G. Burnet, Joseph Vehlein, and Lorenzo de Zavala, arrived in Nacogdoches in June 1834 to issue titles to new settlers who had bought land in those grants. By the end of 1835 he had issued more than 1,000 titles. Little is known of him before or after that year. Capt. Peyton S. Wyatt spoke of him as Maj. George A. Nixon, and he was chairman of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety in Nacogdoches in December 1835 (see COMMITTEES OF SAFETY AND CORRESPONDENCE). He was still there in 1841, when Nicholas Adolphus Sterne mentioned him in his diary. Presumably Nixon spent the last years of his life in Jasper County, for his will was probated there. No county records of his life or death survived the courthouse fire of October 28, 1849, however. A reference in January 1854 to an incomplete original probate lists the bulk of his estate as having been eleven leagues of land on the Brazos river above Fort Tenoxtitlán.