Noble, near the junction of Farm roads 137 and 824, eighteen miles southwest of Paris in southwestern Lamar County, was settled around the time of the Civil War. It was located roughly on the survey line of the Central National Road, which extended from central Dallas County some 130 miles to northwestern Red River County, crossing diagonally through Lamar County. A post office opened at Noble in 1885, and by 1890 the community had Methodist and Presbyterian churches, a general store, a gristmill and gin, and an estimated population of thirty. The post office was discontinued in 1907, and by the mid-1930s only fifteen residents and two businesses were reported there. After World War II the population increased, but by the mid-1960s no businesses were reported at Noble. In 1990 Noble was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of forty. The population remained the same in 2000.