The North Texas Regional Union List of Serials was a cooperative project of North Texas State College, Southern Methodist University, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Texas Christian University, Texas State College for Women, and the public libraries of Dallas and Fort Worth. The project was started on April 16, 1943, when representatives of the seven institutions met and formed a temporary organization. Conferees at this meeting authorized the preparation and subsequent publication of a master catalog of serials. The master card catalog was placed at North Texas State College at Denton, where it was kept up to date through cards mailed in by the cooperating libraries. On November 15, 1943, the North Texas Regional Union List of Serials, consisting of the holdings of the seven libraries, was published. This volume contained 4,526 titles (exclusive of the 260 Texas Baptist Association annuals). During the summer of 1944 a committee consisting of a faculty member from each of the four colleges and universities studied the Union List and decided which serials each library would undertake to complete. The purpose of this committee was to avoid duplication of rarely used materials and to increase the serials available in the region. On February 15, 1945, the Supplement to the Union List was published. It included 542 additional titles, bringing the total number of different titles in the North Texas region to 5,068. The last edition published was the revised edition of 1948. The North Texas Regional Union List of Serials was discontinued during the academic year of 1953–54. The value of the project was twofold. It enabled residents of Dallas and Fort Worth and students and faculty members of the five educational institutions to determine the location of a needed volume and to obtain it with a minimum of time and expense. In the second place it enabled the seven cooperating institutions to build much more rapidly than was formerly possible the total library resources of the region.