Nueces Valley, Rio Grande and Mexico Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


The Nueces Valley, Rio Grande and Mexico Railway Company was chartered on January 14, 1905, to build from Aransas Pass northwest to Del Rio, a distance of 200 miles. The initial capital was $300,000, and the business office was at Carrizo Springs. Members of the first board of directors included M. C. Wells, E. E. Churchill, S. D. Chamberlin, A. M. McElwee, and N. N. Graham, all of Fort Worth; J. W. Campbell, W. A. Squires, and F. Vandervoort, all of Carrizo Springs; and John C. Dennis, of Temple. Work was begun on a railroad grade between Asherton and Carrizo Springs in February 1905 but was discontinued in May after ten miles had been graded. After a change in control, work resumed in 1908. On March 9, 1909, the railroad changed its name to the Asherton and Gulf Railway Company. The line was completed from a connection with the International and Great Northern at Artesia Wells to Light, a distance of twelve miles, in June 1909 and the remaining twenty miles to Asherton in August 1909.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Nueces Valley, Rio Grande and Mexico Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/nueces-valley-rio-grande-and-mexico-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995