Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Albuquerque Pueblo

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 11, 2020


Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Albuquerque, the Indian pueblo attached to Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches Mission, was named by Martín de Alarcón on his inspection tour of Texas in 1718. Fray Gaspar José de Solís, who visited the mission on an inspection tour in June 1768, listed the Indians of the surrounding area as "Nacogdoches, Navidachos, Caddodachos, Asinays and Nazones." According to Solís, the Indians planted large cornfields and supplemented their diets with buffalo, deer, and bear fat. He also noted that the inhabitants had "many good horses," and that all were armed with guns.

Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). Fray Francisco Céliz, Diary of the Alarcón Expedition into Texas, 1718–1719, trans. F. L. Hoffman (Los Angeles: Quivira Society, 1935; rpt., New York: Arno Press, 1967). Gaspar José de Solís, "Diary," trans. Margaret Kenny Kress, Southwestern Historical Quarterly 35 (July 1931).

Categories:

  • Peoples
  • Native American
  • Religion
  • Catholic
  • Architecture
  • Missions
  • Presidios
  • Pueblos

Time Periods:

  • Spanish Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Albuquerque Pueblo,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/nuestra-senora-de-guadalupe-de-albuquerque-pueblo.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 11, 2020

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading