Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Tejas Presidio, also known as Presidio de los Dolores and as Presidio de los Tejas, was established by the Domingo Ramón expedition in 1716. The presidio was built one-fourth league from San Francisco de los Tejas Mission on the east bank of the Neches River. Abandoned in 1719 after a French invasion of East Texas, it was reestablished by the Marqués de Aguayo in 1721 and located four miles from the Angelina River one league from the mission of Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de los Hainai. The state Highway Department erected a monument six miles south of Douglass, Nacogdoches County, to mark the presidio site. The peaceful demeanor of the Indians in East Texas caused Pedro de Rivera y Villalon to recommend the abolition of the presidio, which was effected in 1729. The immediate result of the presidio's abandonment was the removal of the Quereteran missions of San Francisco de los Neches, Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de los Hainai, and San José de los Nazonis to the Colorado River and later to San Antonio.