Nuestra Señora del Pilar de los Adaes Presidio was founded in 1721 by the Marqués de Aguayo as a frontier outpost to check French expansion in East Texas. It was located a quarter league from the mission of San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes, near the site of present Robeline, Louisiana. The presidio was built in the form of a hexagon with three bastions, each of which joined two curtains fifty varas long. Six cannons that the Marqués de Aguayo had brought from Coahuila were left in the presidio, which had an initial complement 100 men. The fort was abandoned in 1773, when the East Texas mission field was ordered abandoned after Spain acquired Louisiana.