Oak Flats, TX

By: Megan Biesele

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Oak Flats, once known as Oak Flat, was three miles southeast of Laneville in south central Rusk County. It was on a mail route from Mount Enterprise along the Angelina River. From the 1880s to at least the 1960s a general store, church, and cemetery were maintained, and there was a school in the community in 1948. The Smyrna Baptist Church, organized in 1873, built a sanctuary in Oak Flats in 1907 which was still standing along Farm Road 2496 in 2004. No population was reported for the community in 2000.

Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Megan Biesele, “Oak Flats, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oak-flats-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Loading