Oak Grove, TX (Bowie County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Oak Grove is on the Missouri Pacific line and U.S. Highway 82 some 4½ miles west of DeKalb in northwestern Bowie County. When the post office was first opened in 1893, the community was called Rolyat, but in 1906 the name was changed because of the beautiful grove of oak trees nearby. In 1914 the town had an estimated population of 200, but by 1925 it had declined to eighty. The post office was discontinued in the 1950s. In 1982 Oak Grove had an estimated population of sixty and no rated businesses. By 2000 the population reached 294.

J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book (n.d.).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Oak Grove, TX (Bowie County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oak-grove-tx-bowie-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Oak Grove
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1364265
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bowie County
Associated Names

Alpha

Rolyat

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.53622410°
  • Longitude: -94.68798800°
Population Counts
People Year
90 2014