Oak Grove, TX (Denton County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Oak Grove, in southeastern Denton County, developed around a Methodist church organized by Rev. William E. Bates in 1851 and was named for an oak grove in the community. The village, bypassed by railroads and highways, served the rest of the century primarily as a community center for area farmers. Oak Grove United Methodist Church declined to some six congregants and closed in 1984. It reopened in 1987 and has prospered since then, completing a new building in 2002 and claiming some 111 members in 2003. While the community did not report any inhabitants in 2000, the oak grove itself was still healthy in 2003 and was cared for by the Denton chapter of Master Gardeners.

Denton Record-Chronicle, August 15, 1956.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Oak Grove, TX (Denton County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oak-grove-tx-denton-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Oak Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1342977
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Denton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.22122980°
  • Longitude: -96.97584010°