Oak Grove, TX (Ellis County)

By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Oak Grove is on Farm Road 1183 five miles south of Ennis in southeastern Ellis County. The first settlers in the area were John and Mary Humble, who arrived with their slaves. The community formed around a Methodist church that was constructed on land donated by C. L. Kendall. Oak Grove became the site of a series of camp meetings during the late 1800s. From 1900 to 1990 the community did not report a population of more than fifty. During the 1980s Oak Grove served as a community center for area farmers. In 1990 through 2000 it reported a population of ten.

Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). Memorial and Biographical History of Ellis County (Chicago: Lewis, 1892; rpt., as Ellis County History, Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1972).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Oak Grove, TX (Ellis County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oak-grove-tx-ellis-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Loading