Oak Grove, also known as Pleasant Valley, a farming community a mile east of State highways 19 and 154 and twelve miles north of Sulphur Springs in north central Hopkins County, was first settled around 1850 by the William Robert Chapman family. The community was originally known as Pleasant Valley, but the name was later changed to Oak Grove for a nearby stand of oak trees. Sometime after the Civil War Chapman built a horse-powered cotton gin there. A public school was operating by 1900 and in 1905 had two teachers and an enrollment of thirty-eight. In the mid-1930s Oak Grove had a school and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away. The school was consolidated with the North Hopkins district, and by the early 1960s all that remained of the community was a few scattered houses.