Oak Grove, TX (Titus County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Oak Grove is on Farm Road 1402 five miles northeast of Mount Pleasant in central Titus County. It was probably settled in the 1840s. A post office, established there in 1848 with Robert Holbrook as postmaster, was in operation until 1853. The settlement centered around a school, which also served at times as a community hall and church. After World War II, declining rural population along with improvements in local transportation led to the consolidation of the school district with the Hartsbluff district, and the school at Oak Grove was closed. In 1984 the community consisted of a church and widely scattered houses.

Morris Blackard, The History of Titus County, Texas, 1929–1964 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Oak Grove, TX (Titus County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oak-grove-tx-titus-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Place
Oak Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1342978
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Titus County
Associated Names

Gilpin

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.22622900°
  • Longitude: -94.94549070°