Oakland, TX (Cherokee County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Oakland, on Farm Road 347 four miles west of Rusk in central Cherokee County, was probably settled after the Civil War. A school was in operation there by 1896, when it had an enrollment of forty-six. In the 1930s the settlement had a church, a school, a store, and a few houses. After World War II the store closed, and the school was consolidated with those of Rusk. In 1990 only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained at Oakland. By 2000 the population reached fifty.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Oakland, TX (Cherokee County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oakland-tx-cherokee-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Loading