Oakland, TX (Van Zandt County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: May 1, 1995


Oakland, a farming community on Farm roads 1255 and 1652 seven miles east of Canton in east central Van Zandt County, had a school by 1890. The school reached an enrollment of twenty-one in 1906. By 1939 the town had a population of twenty, two churches, and a business. By 1965 only a business, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings marked the site. A population of twenty-six was last recorded in 1974. That population was still recorded in 2000.

Wentworth Manning, Some History of Van Zandt County (Des Moines, Iowa: Homestead, 1919; rpt., Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1977). Mary E. Valandingham, Early Scholastic Records for Van Zandt County (Center, Texas, 1968).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Oakland, TX (Van Zandt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oakland-tx-van-zandt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
May 1, 1995

Place
Oakland
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378782
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.57124580°
  • Longitude: -95.75551980°
Population Counts
People Year
26 2009