O'Farrell, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 4, 2020


O'Farrell is on Farm Road 995 nine miles west of Atlanta in northern Cass County. It was settled in the 1870s, and a post office was established there in 1886 and remained in operation until 1905. In 1890 the community had a post office and store run by W. S. Thompson, with a Baptist church and cemetery nearby. By 1896 it included two stores, a gin, and the church. The first population estimates for the town were recorded in the 1940s, when it had two rated businesses and a population of forty. In 1983 O'Farrell had a church, a cemetery, a town hall, and a population estimated at twenty. Its population continued to be reported at twenty in 1990 and 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “O'Farrell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ofarrell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 4, 2020

Place
O'Farrell
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378775
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Associated Names

O'Ferrall

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.12457340°
  • Longitude: -94.32074810°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009