Ohio, TX (Hamilton County)


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Ohio is a ghost town on Plum Creek in south Hamilton County. It was named after the home state of William T. Baker, who settled there around 1877. Baker operated a gin and a store and in 1882 became postmaster of a post office later operated by his son, James A. Baker. About 1886 the post office was moved to Cowhouse Creek near Carter's Mill. The new village of Ohio remained busy for some decades, but the post office closed in 1920. The population was twenty in 1930 and 1940. The last business folded in 1943.

Hamilton County Historical Commission, A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Ohio, TX (Hamilton County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ohio-tx-hamilton-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Ohio
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380289
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hamilton County
Associated Names

Gooch's Mill Shop

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.53932590°
  • Longitude: -98.08614320°