Oil, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Oil was an oil-drilling camp near the confluence of Mud Creek and the Angelina River, ten miles east of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County. In 1901 Max R. and Ralph H. Orthwine of St. Louis purchased a large tract of land on either side of the Angelina and began drilling for oil in the area. A post office operated there from June to November 1901. The Orthwines succeeded only in striking artesian water and, after the driller died, suspended their efforts.

Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Oil, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oil-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Loading