Oilla, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Oilla is on the Southern Pacific line twelve miles east of Beaumont in central Orange County. Ernest Williams and Robert Walles owned the tract and drew up a town plat in 1913, probably naming the town in reference to a recent discovery of oil in central Orange County at the Kishi settlement. The Oilla post office opened in 1913. Though Oilla was the site of the Rush-Daniel Lumber Company and was on the important Texas and New Orleans Railroad, it had a population of only twelve in 1920. By the 1970s, scattered residential development had marked the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Oilla, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oilla-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Oilla
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378788
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Orange County
Associated Names

Alexander Spur

Cow Bayou

Terry 1

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.09771090°
  • Longitude: -93.89100490°