Old Center, on Farm Road 699 thirteen miles southeast of Carthage in southeastern Panola County, was first settled by James Rowe and his brother around 1830, when they opened a tannery known as Rowe's Tan Yard. In 1856 Rowe deeded land for a community school, a church, and a cemetery. Around 1900 the original log church was replaced by a frame building, and by 1906 the school had grown to two teachers and an enrollment of forty-six. In the mid-1930s Old Center had a church, a school, and a number of houses; the reported population in 1936 was thirty. The Old Center school was consolidated with that of Carthage in the 1940s. In 1990 Old Center had a church, a cemetery, and eighty-three residents. The population remained the same in 2000.